Jennifer at Rowdy in First is hosting a "Ten Things I've Learned from Teaching" link party.
This is my 18th year of teaching! I've learned a lot but don't even know where to start!
1. Make a point to say hello to every student and make it personal!
2. Be nice to the janitors, secretaries and cooks - they are your lifelines in many ways!
3. Keep learning all you can.
4. Garage sales and second hand shops are a teacher's wonderland!
5. Bulletin Boards do not need to change every month to be effective in the classroom.
6. I live in Wisconsin so it's important to wear a warm winter coat, gloves, scarf and earmuffs. Even in March!! Cold and windy this week!
7. Marry a supportive husband who doesn't mind that you're always doing school work.
8. Don't use the whole summer doing school work - get out and relax a lot! It will be soon enough and you'll be back in the classroom wishing for a vacation.
9. Laugh in the classroom. Kids have a great sense of humor! Today we were writing stories based on the story A Bad Case of Stripes. Each student had to write their own disease story. One of my funny little boys wrote: A Bad Case of Scott Walker!! I can't wait to see his finished paper. I think I'll need to send it to the Governor.
10. Your team are your best friends! Work well with them and your day will be more successful!
I enjoy teaching every day and I can't even imagine doing something else for a living!