Thesaurus Thursday

Thesaurus Thursday is what my class has been doing for the last two weeks.  It's a great way to emphasize Word Choice for Six Traits.

Week 1:  Start playing some spooky music.  If you don't have one you can find some online.  Here use this one to get you started!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6T0ZnBnQUQ

On chart paper I drew a ghost.  Wrote the word scary inside it.  Then the kids came up with other words that mean scary.  We looked into a thesaurus to get a few different words but honestly the kids were loving coming up with words and did a really good job!


Week 2:  Read the book, Move by Steve Jenkins.  This book goes through how different animals move.  After the reading, the students started listing words that mean the same as move.  I drew a spider (one of the animals in the book - fits the Halloween theme too).  They started with saying the ones that were in the book but then they expanded to adding their own.  I have some new thesauruses on order from Amazon!  Got them for 15 cents!

I am posting these on a bulletin board for the students to add to their writing.  When the board gets full I am going to print these photos to add to our anchor chart binder.



Click on the photo to get your own cover.

Don't forget to pop over and join my giveaway!!
I'm giving away 5 different products!
Click below to go to the Raflecoptor!


No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...